Wiley College is currently seeking qualified applicants for the Forensics Specialist I. The Forensic Specialist I assists the Director of Forensics (DOF) with all tasks and endeavors related to forensics at Wiley College. The Specialist will provide members of the Team with instruction related to communication, rhetoric, oral interpretation, and argumentation. The Specialist will maintain regular office-hours and work directly with students to help prepare events for tournament competition. Coaches are encouraged to work collaboratively with each other, discussing weekly coaching decisions and planning for future competitions each week in the Coaches’ Meeting. The Specialist will also help to arrange travel, register for tournaments, lead fundraising efforts via alumni outreach, assist with service and outreach projects by coordinating the annual high school Invitational Tournament.
INSTRUCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES (including but not limited to):
Additionally, the Forensic Specialist will report to the DOF to provide debate instruction and assessment to undergraduate courses across the curriculum, part of the College’s debate-across-the-curriculum Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP). In so doing, the Specialist will actively participate on the QEP Leadership Team, work directly with faculty from across campus to schedule class visits during which the Specialist will lecture and lead argumentation and debate activities specifically designed to meet various learning objectives. The Specialist will also assist the DOF with workshops designed to train faculty and staff on debate and QEP.
ADDITIONAL TASKS (including but not limited to):
- Support DOF with student and programmatic assessments
- Direct the annual Wiley College High School Invitational Tournament
- Work with the DOF to organize the Great Debaters’ Summer Forensic Institute
- Record daily activities, team meetings and one-on-one “office hour” coaching sessions
- Assist students with competitive events, provide mentorship to part-time student coaches as well as the team captains and members
- Organize student and judge entries for tournament participation
- Serve as chaperone and judge at tournaments
- Compose regular press releases regarding the tournament achievements
- Stay informed on rules, procedures and judging standards for forensic events
- Facilitate practices and workshops for skill development before tournaments
- Work with student captains to plan team showcases for the Wiley College student body and larger community
- Participate in the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) development and implementation committee
- Recruit high school and community college students
- Assist DOF in planning and executing fund raising activities
Required Qualifications: Applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Speech Communication, Media Studies, Communication/Information Technology, or a closely related field. The candidate must have experience working in a professional setting, a thorough understanding of the discipline of communication, as well as experience competing in and/or coaching intercollegiate forensics activates (will consider candidates with experience in either Speech/Individual Events and/or Debate).