Wiley College is currently seeking a Director of Forensics (Debate Coach). The College prefers the person for this role to have experience directing and coaching a forensics team as well as a high level of experience as a college competitor or as a college coach. The primary goal of this position is the management and promotion of Wiley College and the Melvin B. Tolson/Denzel Washington Forensics Society through student excellence in collegiate forensics competition. A secondary goal is the planning, implementation and support of an HBCU National Debate League. A third goal is recruitment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a full-time individual events coach for The Melvin Tolson/Denzel Washington Forensics Society, and traveling to tournaments with a nationally competitive debate program.
- Responsible for the daily operation of the Melvin Tolson/Denzel Washington Forensics Society.
- Responsible for all elements of the program including team management, coaching, tournament transportation, tournament hosting, budget, and SACSCOC compliance and reporting.
- Creates and manages all team schedules including tournament participation schedule and team practice schedule.
- Ensures team members obtain necessary materials, tools, research and literature.
- Serves as communications instructor in addition to coaching and director responsibilities. Teaches a 2/2 load.
- Attends all office appointments and meetings. Keep minutes and agendas for the QEP committee.
- Responsible for the efficient management of community outreach and service projects such as tournaments, exhibition debates, and workshops.
- Serves as the communication link between the Forensics Society and the media or general public.
- Recruits new students to Wiley College and Forensics.
A master’s degree in Communication Studies, Mass Communications or a related field is required, but a doctorate is preferred. Requirements also include extensive knowledge of forensics rules, procedures, judging standards, forensics pedagogy, and team management methodologies as well as experience in teaching mass communications, speech communications or other communications classes. Additional requirements include experience in developing community service and outreach programs.
Please submit a Wiley College application, resume, and copies of transcripts to email@example.com.