General Education Competencies
Back to GESS Home Page
- Reading: Students will demonstrate the ability to read various types of written
information with comprehension.
- Writing: Students will demonstrate the ability to write effectively, that is, clearly and
persuasively and demonstrate the ability to gather evidence and to construct a coherent
- Speaking: Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate orally messages
appropriate to the audience and the situation and do so effectively.
Critical Thinking and Reasoning Skills
- Critical Thinking: Students will demonstrate the ability to think critically and
independently as well as demonstrate analytical reasoning skills and make inferences across
- Mathematical Reasoning: Students will demonstrate the ability to determine the
approach, materials, and strategies necessary to solve a problem.
- Information Literacy: Students will demonstrate the ability to determine an information
need, access and evaluate the information/data successfully, and organize and apply the
information appropriately to a given research subject/topic.
- Technology Literacy: Students will demonstrate the ability to use technology to acquire,
organize, analyze and communicate information to achieve a specific outcome.
- Science Literacy. Students will demonstrate a general understanding of major scientific
concepts, the scientific method, and the methods for obtaining and interpreting scientific
Cultural/Global Awareness and Social Responsibility
- Appreciation for the Arts: Students will develop an appreciation for the arts through
exposure to art of the Ancient World, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Baroque, and Rococo
Eras, art of the Modern Age-African American Art, and selected art forms representative of
- Religious & Spiritual Awareness, Ethical and Moral Development: Students will
demonstrate an awareness of spiritual, ethical and moral considerations in making decisions
and evaluating common actions.